28.6.12

Open Door Policy-


(pinterest)


Do you have one? I grew up without anyone dropping in to hang out, ever. We live a bit out from town, we have a gate and a large dog, there's never been a stay-at-home mom and everyone's schedules are varied so chances are no one is home or someone is sleeping.

My family (in a more broad sense, the four families I make my life with) has different views on the idea. It seems like people are always popping by or hanging out. I value greatly having a place that is a refuge but I also want to create a place where people want to be! I'm not sure how to manage that balance right. It seems like families that people feel comfortable visiting get burned out/never have family time and that families that have a closed home miss out on a vital segment of life.

What keeps people from having more people over? Is it a clean house? A busy schedule? I don't want to let either of those things get in the way when I have a home. I think it's a conscious decision though, it would be easy to slip into becoming a hermit (I mean clearly you like to spend time with the person you've SHACKED UP WITH). Balance. Balance is key.




Home should feel as welcoming as that bright green door.
To me, and everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. Doors & stairs were painted green in Victoria to let wanderers know they were invited to come in--back in the day.
    Doors were painted red, if that house was unwelcoming to strangers.
    My house growing up would have had a red door.
    My mother didn't like having others over because she felt the house was always too messy & also, our dogs were not socialize well enough to be friendly with strangers.
    Both parents worked, however only one aspired to clean & keep our house tidy. I believe all members of the family need a job to keep the house inviting. I say have a space for people to lounge around in, perhaps two living rooms? A garage? Live near the freeway or mall or schools? Perhaps start a small church friend;'s night? I want my friends & my children's friends to be able to use my house whenever the need may be. You'll learn balance as you go.

    ReplyDelete