5.9.12

Death.




I love my job.
But man when young people come in my heart aches.
Probably why I've been listening to this more this week.
I get a lot of literature and the latest book I got was about difficult conversations you have to have as a nurse. And the end-of-life is probably the hardest bit for me. Do I mind if I talk about it? Dignity and presence are conscious things we can offer as people transition from health to death. But it's hard, and scary, and hard.

Stanley Hauerwas talks about death in this question and answer session. He says, "In the Book of Common Prayer there's the prayer, 'save me from all oppression, conspiracy, and rebellion; from violence, battle and murder; and from dying suddenly and unprepared.' In the Middle Ages, what people feared was not death, they feared God. They prayed to be saved from a sudden death because they wanted to have time to repent and have their lives appropriately positioned to face God. Now we just fear death." Isn't that so different from how we feel?! But I want to feel that way.

He also postures that how medicine deals with illness, especially long term illness leading to death is an example for the church living together with the illness of lives lived in sin. It's easy to go through a moment of deep pain together but how to continue after without burnout emotionally is the trick. I haven't been in long enough to speak to burnout but how to keep your heart guarded enough to function but open enough to care for people is a fine line.

Phew. It actually makes me feel tired just digging in to the ideas. And sad. But hard things aren't always bad.




This always makes me cry, and commiserate. We all wish it wasn't a part of life.


A series I'd like to see.


If you want to learn more about hospice.

No comments:

Post a Comment